Pauline's Christmas Cake Recipe
A nice Christmas cake recipe to try !
Gather together the fruits and soak in alcohol as directed in the method before making the cake.
- 10 oz currants
- 6 oz sultanas
- 3 oz raisins
- 3 oz dark natural glace cherries
- 3oz mixed chopped peel - Cut your own or use ready cut
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons of whisky, brandy, rum or sherry
- 4 eggs - room temperature
- 6 oz butter - room temperature
- 6 oz soft brown sugar (or caster sugar if you have none)
- 3 ½ oz of self raising flour (use all plain if you have no SR flour, this cake is not intended to rise, but be level.)
- 3 ½ oz of plain flour
- 2 oz ground almonds
- 1½ teaspoons of mixed spice (this should contain cloves, cinnamon etc)
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or corn syrup
- Optional 2oz walnuts or blanched almonds chopped.
- Optional 2 oz chopped dried apricots
The quantities in this fruit cake recipe must be baked in a deep Round 8 inch tin or Square 7 inch tin.
Prepare these things first.
1. Before you mix up the cake, SOAK the dried fruit and the halved cherries in the alcohol for about 4-8 hours before using it and also remove your 6oz butter and 4 eggs from the fridge to bring them to room temperature about 2 hours before cake making begins. Sometimes I just put all the fruit in a screw top jar and shake it every day for about a week or two. The soaking helps plump and hydrate the fruit.
2. Heat oven to 140 degrees Celsius or Gas mark 1 or 275 degrees Fahrenheit
3. Butter your tin type and double line it and butter it again with 2 circles of greaseproof paper and an inner band of paper.
4. Outside the tin add a double band of brown paper that rises 2 inches or so above the tin. Tie with string.
5. Place the tin ready on a flat pizza or other baking sheet – this helps in removing it from the oven. The Christmas cake recipe is ready to serve...enjoy the Christmas !