CHRISTMAS CAKE II
Christmas Cake Ingredients
* 510g (3 cups) sultanas
* 265g (1 1/2 cups) Sunbeam flame raisins
* 155g (1 cup) currants
* 150g (1 cup) pitted dates, finely chopped
* 1 x 100g pkt red glace cherries, quartered
* 75g (1/2 cup) Ocean Spray craisins
* 75g (1/2 cup) dried pineapple, finely chopped
* 50g (1/4 cup) mixed peel
* 185ml (3/4 cup) brandy
* 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
* Melted butter, to grease
* 250g butter, at room temperature
* 200g (1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
* 4 eggs
* 300g (2 cups) plain flour
* 2 tsp mixed spice
* Blanched almonds, to decorate
* Red glace cherries, extra, halved, to decorate
* 2 tbs brandy, extra
Christmas Cake Instructions
1.Combine sultanas, raisins, currants, dates, cherries, craisins, pineapple, mixed peel, brandy and orange rind in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside, stirring occasionally, for 2 days to macerate.
2.Preheat oven to 150°C. Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and side with 3 layers of non-stick baking paper.
3.Use an electric beater to beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well between each addition until just combined. Add butter mixture to fruit mixture and stir to combine. Add flour and mixed spice and stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Lightly tap pan on benchtop to release any air bubbles. Arrange almonds and cherries on top of the cake.
4.Bake in oven, covered with foil, for 2 hours 40 minutes to 3 hours or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Drizzle hot cake with extra brandy. Set aside to cool before turning out. Enjoy it !